Sunday, November 20, 2011

Half Way!

Wow half way done with the MTC. Only 3 more to go.
To answer dads question, I'm not sure what is different about what we do, we go by the same schedule as everybody else, I think we have more investigators to teach then the other districts, 3 at the moment. I think the reason there trying 6 weeks is that other missionaries when they hit the 6 week mark their Spanish starts to flat line. Everybody who finds out that we are only here for 6 weeks though is pretty jealous that we get to our mission field before them.
This past week me and my companion have had our room to ourselves since our roommates left last week but now we finally got two new roommates heading to Japan. Along with them I also ran into Mitch Sutherland, its now become a common occurrence to run into somebody I know from Davis High or BYU at least once every week. I got to say I think I have the best Branch President ever, he is very relaxed, funny and not like many of the other branch presidents, after Tuesdays devotional he came in and talked to us about the frustrations he had when he had to learn Spanish at the LTM (language training mission) He told us that if you did bad enough in language there they would send you to some were else in a English speaking mission. So in other words you could fail the LTM. I'm so glad that has changed because I would definitely be more stressed at the prospect of failing. He luckily didn't fail but went to his western united states Spanish speaking mission. He told us that with in 90 days of being in the mission field we would suprise ourselves by having conversations with people in Spanish and not realizing it. I'm going to keep track and see if this is true. He told us of how he was the worst Spanish speaker in the LTM but was able to get through it. This defiantly helped me since I'm at the bottom of skill in Spanish speaking in my class. But that's okay.
Yesterday after teaching an investigator the teacher came in and talked to us more about having faith in the Lord that we can learn Spanish. One of the things he talked about and what I'm going to work on is not looking at the things I write and just read them back but struggle through what I want to say. When you do this I know the investigator is more likely to pay attention to what you are going to say and the spirit is more likely to be there when you say things that come from the corazon (heart, I'm may not have spelt that right) 
Dad-thanks for the name to do, I wont get to it till next Thursday because my companion wanted to something besides endowments. We have heard rumors that the NBA has cancelled the season, is this verdadero? (true). Yeah we covered ser y estar, right now we are working on por y para which is tripping up some people. We have covered verbs and infinitives such as: Gustar, Tener, Poder, Necisitar (i don't know if I spelt that right), deber. I can now testify, invite people to be baptized, pray, open conversations and ask questions in Spanish pretty well :)
Mom-thanks again for the package :) those cookies are the best and so were the candies. I shared some with my friends as well. Thanks for the Card as well.  
Clarissa-congrats on finishing the book of Mormon! there are guys in my district who still have not read it all the way through (my companion). Good luck with the auditions you will do great!
Aaron-how are things? write me sometime.
Shumway-That's is defiantly true, I will keep in mind that while I'm here to learn Spanish I'm also here to learn the language of the spirit as well.
Thank you for your letters
Love Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment